Kalamon olives are probably the most famous olives in the world. Enucleation is a process where we remove the core or pit from the olive. In this way, the Stoneless Kalamon Olives are obtained, i.e. the Kalamon ones without a core. Later on, we cut the Stoneless Olives in slices to create the Kalamon Olive Rings!
They are cultivated all over Greece and especially in the Peloponnese.
Kalamon olives are crisp, firm, with a subtle fruity taste, which is also salty, slightly bitter and vinegary.
Kalamon olives have a uniform but varying chocolate to dark brown or violet color and are characteristically pointed.
You can use them in any favorite recipe or dish like pizza or as a meze or appetizer, in salads and especially in the Greek village salad.
How to Use & Serving Suggestion
- First, remove the desired amount of olive rings from the package, in a deep plate or bowl.
- Next, rinse with lukewarm water for a few seconds under the tap, and then fill the container with water so that the water level covers all of your olives.
- We leave them for one to two hours, so that the saltiness goes away.
- Then, remove the water, and let them dry for a few minutes.
- Finally, we add some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, mix them so that they go everywhere – and if we want – any other spice of our liking such as oregano, bukovo or some other ingredient such as lemon, vinegar, yogurt, or even soy sauce. Have fun!
Nutritional Value per 100g
Energy: 607kJ / 172 kcal
of which Saturates: 2.9g
of which Sugars: 0.5g
Dietary fiber: 3g